When we talk of anything concerning household pets, there are two names you’re sure to find in the mouths of every pet-lover or pet parent in the US; Petco and Petsmart. Whether it’s an animal purchase, pet food, grooming, training or camping, these two companies are well-grounded in serving pet owners.
However, though their services seem the same, they differ in some ways (such as prices, methods, etc.). One major area where these two companies differ is in the aspect of grooming. Petsmart and Petco both offer grooming services, but there are certain things that make customers prefer one over the other.
Petco was founded in 1965 and has over 1500 Store locations across the US, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. The company mainly focuses on improving the lives of Pets and Pet owners and offers services like Dog grooming, Dog training, Vet services, adoptions, Pet insurance, etc.
Petsmart LLC is a company devoted to offering services and solutions for pets throughout their lifetime. The company operates up to 1650 pet stores in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. Their services span across dog training, pet grooming, camping, pet adoption, pet boarding, and pet food sales.
Petco and Petsmart Grooming Services
Petco Grooming Services
- Screening: Petco’s grooming service typically starts with a quick screening when you check in. This is done to make sure that nothing is abnormal or out of place with your pet, and will also determine the next procedure to be done.
- Brush and shave: Next, depending on the outcome of the screening, your dog will undergo a thorough brush out or an initial shave if its coat is too thick. Then it’s on to bathing.
- Bathing: Petco attendants do everything they can to remove all dirt, oil and debris from your dog’s coat to give them a squeaky clean appearance.
- Drying: Drying dogs has never been a one-cap-fits-all thing. So at Petco, they employ different methods (for instance, air drying, towel drying, etc.) to dry your dog efficiently and comfortably.
- Haircut: This may or may not be part of the menu, depending on what grooming service you ordered. Petco has professional stylists who can give your dog your desired look or the haircut best suited for their breed.
- Report: The final part of the pet makeover is the report card. This gives details of the services provided to your pet and some after-care recommendations for you to keep them healthy till the next grooming session.
How Much Would A Typical Grooming Session Cost at Petco
The exact price you’ll be charged to groom your pet at Petco will depend on the grooming service you requested, and the size of the breed. But generally, it can cost anywhere from $20 to $70.
- Breed-specific haircuts
- Breed-specific baths
- Customized packages
- Bonus walk-in services that don’t require a prior appointment (such as nail trimming, teeth brushing, and gland expressions)
- Prices are dependent on the size of the breed
- There have been complaints from customers concerning some bad groomers at Petco
- Services are more tailored for dogs than other pets
Petsmart Grooming Services
Petsmart offers a wide range of dog and cat grooming services. Their services can be booked online or offline. A typical grooming session can take anywhere from 2 hours to 4 hours.
However, before working as a groomer in Petsmart, you must have over a month of hands-on training. During this time, a groomer learns to bathe and groom several dogs and cats of different breeds and sizes. After successfully completing the training, groomers are then allowed to handle customers’ pets.
Petsmart employees also have a compulsory annual health certification: if they fail, they lose their job. Petsmart grooming sessions may include all or most of the following, depending on your preferred package:
- Hands-on Pet Assessment: This entails assessing the skin, nails, ears, coat and teeth of your pet, so the groomer can better address their unique needs.
- Brushing and Clipping (pre-bath procedures): Before commencing the bath, your pet groomer will first brush, comb, and clip your pet to get rid of any excess hair or hair tangles. Your pet may also earn free nail trimming and ear cleaning as part of the procedure.
- Relaxing Baths: Petsmart offers your pet relaxing baths with well-balanced shampoos and conditioners. Whatever shampoo is used on your pet will have to be agreed to when you check in.
- Custom Drying: Different breeds call for different drying methods, and PetSmart groomers opt for the safest and most comfortable method for your pet.
- Finishing Touch: This may involve giving your pet the best and most appropriate haircut. Other times it may be some gentle brushing, nail finishing, and other little finishing touches to get your pet ready for pickup.
How Much Would A Grooming Session At Petsmart Cost?
The cost of a grooming session at PetSmart may vary depending on the store, pet breed, coat condition, and service time. However, a typical full groom service will cost around $75 for small, medium, and large breed Adult dogs: For an extra-large breed, however, the price will be about $90.
- Adult and puppy-tailored baths
- Mouthwatering discounts and packages
- Low prices
- Highly trained groomers from the PetSmart’s Academy
- Several reports of nonchalant and bad-behaving groomers
- Absence of breed-specific haircuts
Price Comparison (Petsmart Vs Petco)
|Type Of Dog||Prices ($)|
|Small, Medium or Large breed Puppy||40 – 42|
|Extra-large breed puppy||49 – 51|
|Small, Medium, or Large breed Adult||75 – 78|
|Extra-large Adult||90 – 91|
The prices above are for a full grooming service at PetSmart.
|Type Of Dog||Prices ($)|
|Extra-small breeds||$60 and above|
|Small breeds||$68 and above|
|Medium breeds||$77 and above|
|Large breeds||$91 and above|
|Extra Large breeds||$105 and above|
The prices above are for a full groom and bath. Usually, you get standalone prices for full grooming and bathing.
The prices in the two tables above are for dog grooming services only. Depending on what pet you have, the cost may be higher or lower. Also, the package you choose will determine the final costs.
Both Petsmart and Petco are very reputable, and both offer mouthwatering packages. At the end of the day, it all boils down to which company’s grooming service you enjoy more: Nothing beats a firsthand experience.